The report and plain language summary are now available.
The Ohio Disability and Health Partnership (ODHP) is happy to announce that the 2022 ODHP Statewide Needs Assessment of Ohio Adults with Disabilities is complete. Find the report and plain language summary here. The report and plain language summary are now available.
The purpose of the report is to understand the healthcare needs of Ohio adults with disabilities. The report explains the differences in health between Ohio adults with disabilities and Ohio adults without disabilities.
To understand the healthcare needs of Ohio adults with disabilities, The Ohio Disability and Health Partnership (ODHP):
- Looked at current Ohio survey data,
- Had conversations with Ohio adults with disabilities about their healthcare experiences
- Talked with a statewide advisory group of people with disabilities, family members, support staff, and disability experts.
- Mental health is the biggest healthcare need for Ohio adults with disabilities.
- Adults with disabilities have worse mental health, physical health, and chronic condition outcomes compared to adults without disabilities.
- Ohio adults with disabilities report being treated unfairly by healthcare providers because of disability bias.
- The most common barriers to healthcare for people with disabilities include: a lack of healthcare provider understanding about disability, being denied accommodations, physical inaccessibility of building and places, inaccessibility of equipment like exam tables, inadequate insurance coverage, and lack of transportation.
- Ohio adults with disabilities and the statewide advisory group of people with disabilities, family members, support staff, and other disability experts say that healthcare professionals need better training on caring for people with disabilities. This includes knowledge about disabilities and skills for interacting with patients with disabilities.
Why did we do a needs assessment?
To better understand the healthcare needs of people with disabilities in Ohio.
What did we find?
Ohio adults with disabilities have worse health outcomes compared to adults without disabilities. This includes mental health, physical health, and access to care.
How do I learn more about the assessment and results?
- To read the full report visit: ODHP 2022 Needs Assessement (PDF)
- To read a plain language summary of the report: ODHP 2022 Needs Assessment Infographic (PDF)
- If you are interested in the ODHP team presenting the results of the assessment to your group, contact Lauren.Hackenberg@osumc.edu
How do I learn more about people with disabilities?
If you are a healthcare provider or work with healthcare providers take these free online trainings.